Lowfield street
Spital street, West Hill

Drill Hall, Lowfield street:
West Kent (Queen's Own) Yeomanry (B Squadron); head quarters
5th Battalion The Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment).(C & [section] E Cos.).'

The drill hall stood on the boundary of Central Park.

According to a leaflet published by Dartford Borough Council, entitled “Central Park – A Hundred Years”, the land for Central Park was the gift of Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Newman Kidd, J.P. He was the owner of the local Kidd’s Steam Brewery. Among his many interests, he belonged to the Dartford Volunteer Rifle Corps, which he commanded from 1872-1884. His gift of land included an adjoining piece of land, accessed from Lowfield street, for a purpose-built drill hall.

This is shown on the postcard (unfortunately undated). The drill hall is marked on OS maps of 1910.

We understand that the drill hall has recently been demolished as it formed part of the Lowfield Street redevelopment. [2008]

West Hill:
'C Section 4th London Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps; Spital street.' (Kelly, 1914)

'4th London Field Ambulance [C Section], and London Division, Royal Army Medical Corps, West hill.' (Kelly, 1913)

Postcard of Dartford Drill Hall
Postcard of Drill Hall adjacent to Lowfield street and
Central Park, date unknown. view enlargement
Photograph not available
© All material is copyright - refer to the Terms of Use

the first attempt at content

The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy